Friday, September 20, 2013

Friday Five

Sorry that I've been a bit of an absent blogger these past few weeks.  I've been going through a rough patch and it's been difficult to find something that I want to write about.  It's finally starting to look like my luck might be changing, but it's still too early for me to give you any details.  Anyway, I want to at least make time to appreciate some things that are bringing me cheer this month.

1. Pumpkin Flavored Everything
'Tis the season, y'all!  I can't help but fall for this marketing strategy every single time.  I have to admit that I got excited when liquor stores started rolling out the Pumpkin Ales and Oktoberfests in August (S was less amused).  Even though I can buy pumpkin any time of year, I guess I'm conditioned to only want to eat it every single day between the months of September and December.  Young American ladies (and probably some men, too) await the release of the Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks the way French people line up at midnight for each year's Beaujolais Nouveau.  Just in the past week, I've made pumpkin cream sauce for tortellini, pumpkin and butternut squash soup, pumpkin spice oatmeal, and I even bought pumpkin spice coffee creamer for my coffee.  I'm into it.  And don't even get me started on the apples and apple cider and apple cider donuts.

2. Going to See Movies in the Theater
It's the magical moment when horror flicks for Halloween intersect with Awards Season films.  I might have to see at least one movie a week just to keep up.  I'm most excited about 12 Years A Slave, The Counselor (I wasn't that interested in the plot, but Cormac McCarthy wrote the screenplay, so now I have to see it), Inside Llewyn Davis, The Monuments Men, and August Osage County.  I'm also pretty excited that Night of the Living Dead is coming back to a local theater, with commentary from the guys behind "Mystery Science Theater 3000."  I love movies so much that, during awards season, I usually go see several by myself, just to make sure I see as many as possible.  The Oscars is kind of like my Super Bowl.

3. A New Metropolitan Opera Season
Like Pumpkin Flavored Everything, I'm a sucker for the spectacular productions at The Met.  I'm really hoping to score some La Boheme tickets in the last-minute lottery this year, since I had so much luck with The Ring last year, but my guess is everyone else will want those tickets too.  Knocking on wood with crossed fingers!

4. Being More Active Outdoors
I've gone camping three times this year and we've planned at least one more trip before the season is over (that's S, prepping some firewood on our last excursion).  I'm trying to take advantage of the beautiful state parks we have here in New Jersey... I know, you probably thought the whole state was either like Newark or Seaside Heights.  Nope!  We also have forests, rivers, mountains, and lakes.  I haven't gotten the canoe in the water yet, but I'm hoping to take it for a spin this weekend and maybe next weekend as well.  S and I have also started taking little walks every evening after dinner.  At first, I was kinda like, "Aw, man... I just got home.  Do I have to go out again?"  But once we get going, it's a really nice way to decompress from the day.  We try to go a little bit farther every night.  It's not a real workout, but studies show that even just a little, light walk a few times a week has long-term health benefits.

5. Getting in the Halloween Spirit!
I can't decide whether Halloween is my first or second favorite holiday, but it was taken from me last year due to Superstorm Sandy and this year I demand some festivities.  Haunted houses and hayrides, corn mazes, pumpkin carving, candy, costumes, maybe some light decorating if a certain someone will let me...  Hopefully we can get our cable to work again in time to watch Beetlejuice and Hocus Pocus on TV (even though I own both of those movies).  OK, so maybe it's still more than a month away, but October magazines come out in September and I'm already getting inspired.  The good news is that a lot of things most people would only put out during Halloween, I consider part of my everyday style: skulls, bats, etc.  Our apartment is already covered in cobwebs and spiders, so that's one less thing we have to do!

Happy weekend, readers.  I'll try to be back with some real posts next week.  Don't forget that you can (and should!) follow me on Twitter for daily, bite-sized updates.  If you still feel like winning a beauty product care package from me, follow me on Twitter, Instagram, or Bloglovin.

No comments:

Post a Comment