Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Food Experiments 2

As much as we miss the food in Italy, it's been fun cooking for ourselves again, especially because now we get to use all of the great local produce from the farmers' markets.  We're definitely not sick of pasta, but I do feel like I needed to eat something really nutritious to make up for all of the white carbs and meat I'd been eating while on vacation.  I'm a sucker for a good quinoa salad, so I gave one a try, based on something my boyfriend's brother made for Easter.
I used a mixture of red and white quinoa, cooked it according to the package directions, and then tossed it with a vinaigrette made from roasted garlic, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil.  I stirred in chopped green onions, kalamata olives, wilted arugula, feta cheese crumbles, and some salt and pepper.  This was wholesome and delicious.  Eat your heart out, Whole Foods salad bar!

With the rest of the roasted garlic, I decided to try making hummus.  It's one of those things that's been on my list for a while, and there's really no excuse not to make my own hummus since I have a food processor.  I probably should have looked at a recipe before I began, but I'm not disciplined enough for recipes.
I put in one box of chick peas (the same amount as a typical can, but I try to avoid cans when possible), three or four cloves of roasted garlic, some spoonfuls of tahini sesame paste, a couple of drizzles of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cumin.  I processed it for a bit, tasted, adjusted as necessary, processed again until it achieved desired creaminess, and put it into a jar in the fridge.
I think it could have used some more salt and lemon juice.  I also probably should have used more olive oil and less tahini, because it has sort of a peanut buttery texture to it.  Just a little too thick for chip-dipping.
Still, it's not bad... we obviously seem to have had no trouble making our way through it pretty quickly.  If not for how annoying it is to wash the food processor, I could see myself making this pretty frequently, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities to experiment with different ratios and recipes.
If you have a favorite hummus recipe that has worked for you, post it (or a link) in the comments below!

Unfortunately, S forgot to empty and clean our coffee pot before he left.  I'll spare you the details, but let's just say I had permission to buy a new one yesterday.
The best $15 I could have spent!  Ha... OK, so it's nothing fancy, but it is an upgrade from our previous coffee pot.  We had been working with a 4-cup carafe until now.  No more need to brew two pots every morning!  I still miss cappuccinos, but I do love the ritual and sensory experience of brewing a pot of coffee in the morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment