Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Summer Mantra and Game of Thrones

Posts like this are why I love the Frenemy.  I'm not even going to try to be original here because she just says it so perfectly.
"A Reminder
Wearing a bathing suit should not be scary. You would not rather eat cat food than find a bathing suit. You have a stretch mark or two or three but nobody gets arrested for that shit. That shit is okay. I like your thighs. Take care of your feet. You do not have to transform into Lana Del Ray because it is summertime. You do not have to have the flattest stomach. Dance sexy in your bedroom wearing your bathing suit. People are not looking at you as much as they think you are. You will not shape yourself to a lingerie ad. Bikini season is not what it’s called. Other people (even the ones with the bodies you want) are worried about how they look, too. You are an educated young person who knows better and will teach confidence and poise and being a motherfucking boss to those who will soon be ready to release their bossness, too. You will do that in your cute bathing suit. You look nice in your bathing suit. Your body is not your value. You are having fun at the beach. Fuck that noise. You do not have to wear coral lipstick and find a big floppy hat if you don’t want to. You will not waste your time with this self-pity nonsense. You have to wear sunscreen. You are beautiful and you are nice except in the morning. Being beautiful is not the most important thing. Tummies are fine. Get melted ice cream on your tummy. You are having fun AT THE BEACH. Have a good fucking summer. Wearing a bathing suit should not be scary."

As I'm training for a scary 5K and preparing for a trip to Europe, it's easy for me to get hung up on body image. Thanks for the reminder that I should be focusing on how much fun I'm having and not on how I look compared to other people.

Um, now I really want to talk about Game of Thrones. If you're really sensitive about spoilers, then you might want to skip this part. I'm not going to say exactly what happened, but I will refer to the internet drama that resulted from it and hint that something crazy happened. But really, if you didn't already know that, you must be hiding in a hole. I'll tell you when it's safe to start reading again. Skip this next paragraph.

So everyone [who didn't read the book] is freaking out about what happened in the last episode of GoT. Some bad things happened to characters who people really liked, to put it lightly. But I kind of loved it... not because I didn't like those characters, but because I think that kind of twist is part of what makes the series great. During the first two seasons of the show, everyone was saying how awesome it is because you never know whose side to be on since every character has his/her good and bad qualities and the focus keeps shifting. I agree. Maybe you originally thought Tyrion was a bad guy and now we all love him. We're also starting to feel sympathy for Jaime and Cersei Lannister (or at least I am). I haven't exactly counted or anything, but it also seems like the characters in question haven't really been featured that much in this season, so I haven't been as attached to them anyway (plus, they weren't the ones I'm rooting for in the battle for the Throne). Maybe I'm alone in that. But I do think it's an inappropriate reaction to say that you're going to stop watching the show because of what happened or to get angry (and even make threats) at George R.R. Martin just because things didn't work out the way you wanted them to. When in this show does anything work out the way it's supposed to? This is a dark world. Shit gets violent. Now that you've had your temper tantrum, get over it and see what happens in the season finale.

Safe to start reading again.



I'm forcing myself to run outside every day in preparation for the race on Saturday, but the heat and humidity we had last week was really slowing me down. I have to just get used to it though because I can't expect it to be any cooler or less humid in south Jersey this weekend. I also need to shop around for a good pair of athletic headphones because my ear buds keep slipping out of my ears while I'm running. I've tried changing to a different size, but especially when I start really sweating, I still have to keep pushing them back in every minute or so. It doesn't matter right now because I won't be listening to music during the zombie race anyway -- I have to use all of my senses for survival -- but does anyone have any suggestions? Should I get the kind that hook over my ear, or the inner ear kind, or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment