Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Fair Lady

It's the season for street fairs and church carnivals, especially in the various ethnic communities of the northeast.  Greek festivals, Italian feasts, the Puerto Rican Day parade, Portuguese fairs, etc.  I partook in the Feast of Saint Anthony at a local church this weekend as a sort of preview for the bigger (and better) "Italian Festival" that I've gone to in my hometown since childhood.

I probably don't need any pizza since I'm about to go to Italy, but the quality of this brick oven pizza (on the street!) surprised me so much that I had to try it.  
There were clams as well.  Absolutely perfect, refreshing, delicious clams.  They weren't very photogenic, however.

Poor S played this air rifle game three or four times, getting closer and closer to winning each time.  On this try, he only missed one little tip of the star at the top, but "almost" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades (or so the saying goes).

We didn't actually play the "money wheel" and I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it seems like the quintessential symbol of fairs and carnivals to me.

I'm not stupid enough to go on any of the rides, but they're a necessary part of the experience anyway.

This type of thing shouldn't seem so novel to me.  I'm about to spend a whole summer playing these games and eating these foods, but they make me happy every time.  It feels like being a kid on summer vacation.


No comments:

Post a Comment