Friday, June 14, 2013

Color Me Confused



Apparently this has gotten media attention before, so I've just been out of the loop (maybe because I don't shop there anymore), but I just noticed that Forever 21 prints "John 3:16" at the bottom of all of its shopping bags.  Maybe the store is called "Forever 21" because they believe in eternal life.  A company representative has said that the Bible verse appears on bags as a symbol of the owners' "Christian faith."  I wonder how they reconcile their faith with all of the butt-skimming skirts they market to preteens.  And isn't there something about not stealing in the Bible?  Apparently the company owners didn't get the memo or they wouldn't condone stealing designs.


I don't know how many of you have read William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying, but James Franco saw fit to put it on film.  How this will work out, I have no idea.  In case you're not familiar, this is one of the chapters:
And no, this is not a book about a family of fish (not literally, anyway).  Here's the trailer:


I'm not even sure what he's making it look like, but the majority of the value in the book is in the inventive writing style, not the story, so I don't know how he's going to capture that.
James Franco, you may be overstepping your boundaries on this one.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa I have never noticed that about the F21 bags....and I shop there way too often for my own good.... That is really interesting. And sorta strange.....

    ReplyDelete