Monday, May 6, 2013

The Weekend in Pictures

This weekend was the perfect mix of laziness and activity.  Here are a few highlights in photo form.

On Friday, I bought my first bottle of Chablis.  I very rarely buy French wines because my Spanish go-tos are so much cheaper and just as tasty.  This was worth it though.  It's like a less fruity Chardonnay, perfectly balanced.  It made me wish I had a porch to sit on.

I indulged in a manicure/pedicure on Saturday morning, since I'm wearing flip flops almost every day now.  I chose some very bright colors for Spring and I have to admit that it makes me feel happier every time I look at my nails.  I'm not usually a hot pink kind of person, but the name of the color was "La Paz-itively Hot" and  I was so surprised to see Bolivia mentioned in popular culture that I had to pick that one.  

On Saturday evening, I went back to Lincoln Center to take advantage of my second opera ticket lottery score.  I'm a little bit obsessed with this fountain.  The pattern of the water spraying up and falling down is almost like music and the sudden hush of everything stopping as the water cascades back into the drain at the end is pretty dramatic.

Here is the Metropolitan Opera House, decorated with these giant tapestries featuring each of the operas in Wagner's The Ring of the Nibelung.  This is an enormous, spectacular opera and I can't think of any better place to see it than at the Met.  I only saw the introduction to the set, Rheingold, but it was enough to leave me craving the rest of them.  There were mermaids, a dragon, giants, and a floating, shape-shifting platform  in the middle of the stage.  The music was also melodic and dramatic.  My favorite part was Erda's warning, when a sort of witch/fairy/goddess comes up from the ground to warn the gods that the ring would only lead to misery.  Her song was beautiful... you should youtube it.  I spent the rest of the night trying to figure out how I could skip work to see the rest of the cycle this week.  Unfortunately, I think I'll just have to wait until the next season.

My Sunday dinner was this classic combination of tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella.  I'm trying to avoid dairy as part of my usual eating habits, but if I'm going to indulge, it should be the best quality ingredients I can find.  I used mozzarella di bufala campana imported from Italy to make sure that my special treat was worth every bite.  I drizzled the salad in extra virgin olive oil and a thick balsamic reduction, sprinkled on some salt and pepper, and sopped it all up with a crusty baguette from Calandra's bakery.

On Sunday, we also went to a street festival in the neighboring town, but I didn't take any pictures.  I love street festivals and my boyfriend kind of puts up with them for my sake.  There was a woman there representing a New Jersey bird sanctuary and adoption center who had several kinds of parrots there with her, including a very charming African Grey.  This was rather fortuitous because we've been discussing the possibility of getting an African Grey and it makes all the difference to meet one in person and be able to ask an expert some questions about how to care for them.  We still probably won't be getting one anytime soon, but it's looking like more of a real possibility now that we have some more information.

Now it's time to jump head-first into another busy week.  Only 18 more days until Memorial Day weekend?


1 comment:

  1. Ahh I love the colors of your mani-pedi! Spring colors are the greatest.

    And that salad makes me so hungry. It looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete