Wednesday, May 8, 2013

One Month until Zombie Apocalypse

Exactly one month from today, I will wake up to find that zombies have taken over New Jersey.  I'll have to run, climb, crawl, and possibly swim my way to safety.  And I don't feel ready.  When I signed up for this, it felt so far away!  I thought for sure I would be able to do so much more by now.  Where has the time gone? I'll just have to train even harder in the next month.  Nothing motivates like a quickly approaching deadline... assuming that deadline involves zombies chasing me.
the obstacles seem to range from going down what
appears to be a giant slip-and-slide (not too hard)...
to running through a dark, smoky house that occasionally delivers electric shocks
 WHILE still trying to get away from hidden zombies (what did I sign up for!?)

My plan was to only run outside on a hilly, unpaved trail during this last month before the race, but today's rainy weather is getting in the way of that a little bit.  Ever since the weather started getting nicer, I've actually been going to the gym less and less and working out at home or outside more and more.  The gym does have some equipment that could be really helpful to me, however.  For example, I am about 90% sure that I'll have to climb over a wall using a rope and my gym just happens to have a machine that simulates climbing up a rope.
Sorry, brief interjection here.  I just went to google pictures of my zombie run and saw that today's Google doodle is AWESOME.  Go look at it if you haven't yet, seriously.
Anyway, this is the rope pull machine I was talking about
I'm just afraid I'll have to go across a set of monkey bars.  I've never been able to do the damn monkey bars.

I signed up for Hulu+ last night and I'm really excited.  They have so many Criterion Collection movies that I can't find anywhere else.  I plan to watch a lot of classic Italian cinema in preparation for my trip to Italy this summer... although, in reality, I'll probably spend half of the week catching up on The Mindy Project.  Between Netflix, Hulu+, Vudu, HBOGo and the Playstation network store, we're definitely going to cancel our cable this summer (especially because we won't be here a lot of the time anyway).  I was concerned that we would no longer be able to watch our usual combination of Cosby Show/Roseanne/Golden Girls on Saturdays, but the Cosby Show is on Hulu+ and the other two are on the TVLand website.  Internet killed the cable company star?... or something.
But in all seriousness, Hulu+ has pretty much every foreign, indie, or documentary movie I've ever needed to see and I'm really excited about that.  Fritz Lang's M, French new-wave film The 400 Blows, Umberto D (which I've seen but want to see again and couldn't find anywhere else), seemingly every film by Akira Kurosawa, Ingmar Bergman, and Charlie Chaplin... I could go on forever.

Some big things are happening this month that are both exciting and stressful.  I'm starting a new day job as a substitute teacher next week, so I'll have to either wake up extra early to go for a run before heading to the school or I'll have to save enough energy to work out when I get home from nannying at 7:30 each night.  I'm also going into work on Saturday for the next several weeks because of events that the kids invited me to (or that the parents want help with).  On top of that, I've been promoted to part of the core editorial staff for XO, so as we prepare for the next issue, I'll have a lot more responsibilities.  Certainly, I'm happier having too much to do rather than not enough to do, but the rest of May will be a whirlwind.  If I can just make it to Memorial Day weekend, I have a new tattoo, a mini-vacation, and a new season of Arrested Development to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment