The Brian Lehrer Show on WNYC did a segment yesterday morning called "What's Changed since 1996?" with the clever Twitter hashtag "Cicada van Winkle" about what it would be like to be a cicada that wakes up after 17 years to find a vastly different world (or in some ways, not so different). I thought the bit was so funny that I decided to make a copycat version from a different perspective.
Here's what this part of the world was like the last time the Brood II cicadas came out of the ground:
- I was ten years old, my sister was 7, and the kids I work with were barely an idea in their parents' imaginations
- Amanda Bynes was like this:
- "Tha Crossroads" by Bone Thugs n Harmony was the #1 song this week
- AOL was the most hi-tech way of communicating with your friends
- The first Mission: Impossible was the #1 best-selling movie of the week (preceded by Twister)
- John Grisham's The Runaway Jury was at the top of the bestseller list
- People were watching Friends, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, ER, Beverly Hills 90210, and The X-Files
- The World Trade Center was still standing, but TWA Flight 800 would explode in July and the Unabomber had just been arrested in April
- What's a Britney Spears? Is she one of the Spice Girls? ("Wannabe" debuted in June 1996, while "Hit Me, Baby... One More Time" doesn't come out until 1999)
- There was only one MTV and it still played music videos (I know because I just started being allowed to watch it at home)
- People were debating whether to re-elect Bill Clinton or vote for Bob Dole in the fall and the stock market was booming
I could go on like this all day, but I think this gives you enough to think about for now. This was a really fun post, so if you can think of other differences (or similarities), post them in the comments!