Monday, April 15, 2013

Grilling season

Before I begin, I'd just like to commend my local Barnes and Noble Starbucks for their taste in TV shows and sense of humor.  In case you didn't watch a lot of Nick at Nite as a kid (or grow up in the 50's), here's one of the most famous scenes from the classic show "I Love Lucy."


Now you'll get the reference at the coffee shop (unfortunately, I'm sure most people did not):


It's my second favorite time of year!  All winter long, I dream of grilling various meats, vegetables, pizzas, etc.  It was almost kind of nice out yesterday afternoon, so S and I went to my parents' house to have a late lunch/early dinner... but mainly, to use their grill.  I had to work over the weekend, so this was my one fun activity.  I made fajitas, drank some beer, spent quality time with my parents, and got a little bit of relaxation in before starting work again.

One leftover winter holiday beer

fajita options: mushroom, shrimp, or skirt steak

ready to serve

steak with onions, peppers, and queso blanco
shrimp with onions and home-made guacamole
Corn tortillas for me, flour tortillas for the gringos.

My boss gave me a $100 gift card to Barnes and Noble for my birthday, which was incredibly generous.  Obviously they know me pretty well because I spent it all (and then some) in one day.  Now I have so many more books to read!
my haul
The Gwyneth Paltrow book... I'll explain later.
This week will be all about self-improvement.  The apartment is a disaster area, my workout routine is off track from where I wanted it to be, my eating has been out of control, and I feel a little overwhelmed.  Of course, all of these things are connected to one another.  If I ate better, I would exercise better, and that would make me feel better.  So that's the theme of the week: getting back into good habits so I can get back into a good mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment