Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Fun Stuff

Something else that isn't worth buying from the store anymore: almond butter (or peanut butter or cashew butter or whatever butter you like)!  It takes some time -- about 20 minutes -- but it is so easy.  I threw about 2 or 3 cups of raw sprouted almonds into my food processor and turned it on.  And then let it keep going and going and going and going.  I was so sure that it wouldn't work the first time I tried it because for the first ten minutes, it just looks like ground-up almonds.  Then the ground-up almonds start coming together a little bit, but then they crumble up again, and then come together again.  Finally, I walked out of the room for a minute and I came back to find perfect, creamy deliciousness.  You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl every once in a while, but that's it.  I added a pinch of salt and a few squeezes of honey to my last batch, but it's not necessary (and supposedly adding liquid makes it go bad more quickly).  Some tips:  If you soak your almonds first, make sure they are completely dry again before you start processing them.  Also, I've read that roasted almonds turn into almond butter much faster than raw almonds.  The almonds do get quite warm while processing because the machine is grinding away for so long, but I don't think it ever got hot enough to cook out the nutrients from the raw almonds, so that's a call you'll have to make based on your own preferences.
from crumbly paste to liquid gold
Hey!  Yesterday's post was really long and boring.  How about some fun stuff to make up for it?

Stuff to Read:
Stuff to Watch:
  • Yesterday, I watched "Hungry for Change," a documentary about how the processed food that we buy from the grocery store is flat-out killing us.  I could have done without the dramatized segments (they have actors play office workers who change their lifestyle habits and eventually become happier), and I took the segment on juicing with a grain of salt (the people recommending it were not doctors but rather nutritionists and laypeople), but for the most part it's a good overview of why we need to stop eating crap.
  • I also started watching the Netflix series "Hemlock Grove."  I gave it three episodes to suck me in and it failed miserably.  I had such high hopes because everyone was saying how great "House of Cards" is and I'm in the market for a horror-themed TV show.  Unfortunately, the writing and acting are both terrible.  The only thing it has going for it is that the whole season is available at once, so if you start caring about the "mystery," you can watch the next episode right away to find out what's happening.  However, if any of you got further along in the series and something really cool happens, let me know and I might pick it back up again.

Stuff to Look at
You guys, I haven't been clothes shopping in SO long.  Not really, anyway.  In the past three months, I bought some new athletic gear to run in and I bought some new flip flops from Old Navy, but that's about it.  I think I am learning to be more sensible with my money, but I'm also not the size I'd like to be, so I'm reluctant to invest in clothes that (hopefully) will be too big for me in a few months.  But every once in a while, it just feels good to have a new outfit.  I'm having a sort-of-reunion with some college friends this weekend and Lord & Taylor is having a big sale next week (although really, when are they not having a sale?) so I'm starting to get the shopping itch.

Whoever decided that maxi dresses were back in style, I'd like to kiss that person right on the mouth.  Yeah yeah short dresses are cute and all, but I'm a grown-ass woman and I ain't got time to worry about the wind blowing my skirt all over the place. Or whether or not I've shaved my legs recently.  Thank you, long skirts.
Something like this would look just as good at the park with the kids as it would on a date.

On the other hand, I dig the flamenco-inspired hem and Tim-Burton-esque stripes (with neon yellow accent at the neckline) on this dress, even if it's less versatile.
Yeah, I'm bad at wearing color.

I did just buy this tunic (literally 30 seconds ago), but I have a feeling the grim print cancels out the pretty color.  But as you know, I like bones.
Well now this has devolved into me shopping online rather than writing this post, so perhaps I'd better skedaddle.  You've made it halfway through another work week!  The end.   

2 comments:

  1. That almond butter looks SO good. I have to try this!

    One of my friends is obsessed with Hemlock Grove, so I was going to try it. But I wasn't really sure if it was my cup of tea. I loved House of Cards though!!

    I love maxi dresses in theory but I always feel like they make me look shorter than I actually am. BUT I love that one that's a little shorter in front...with the hi/low hemline. I'll have to keep an eye out for some this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There does seem to be a problem with stores adjusting the lengths of maxi dresses proportional to the dress size. And I have other short friends who say that they feel shorter when they wear long skirts, so maybe they're not for everyone. But hey, if I had your cute little legs, I wouldn't need maxi dresses! Show those things off!

    ReplyDelete