Saturday, March 16, 2013

You are here.

So here's a true story.  When I was about three or four years old -- too young to really know how to write -- I used the computer (or even an old typewriter my parents kept for us to play with) to write "stories."  In my head, I had a lot to say, but on paper it probably looked like a cat walked across the keyboard.  Occasionally, I would draw pictures on each page to go with the text.  Every once in a while I'll still find an old notebook in which I had scribbled my toddler gibberish.

So why don't I write now?

I have the usual excuses for why grown-ups abandon their childhood dreams.  I need to find a job that will actually pay me to do something.  I don't have time, what with all the housework and the fitness goals and the... TV watching... and stuff.  I've been discouraged by the real world alerting me to the fact that I am not the best and may never be (I think Voltaire said something like "Perfection is the enemy of the good").  People don't even read real books anymore!  Everything is electronic, downloaded illegally, or limited to however many characters Twitter allows you.  The public's collective attention span is shorter.

I spent two years feeling miserable with my life, which I'll write about in a later post.  Now that I'm back in New Jersey and out of graduate school, I've decided to commit to making my life healthy and positive.  I need to feel like my true self -- my best self -- and that includes getting back into the habit of writing regularly, being more active, eating more healthfully, and generally doing and surrounding myself with people/things that contribute positively to my life.

This falls under the category of a "lifestyle" blog.  I will post pictures, suggest tips and recipes, and share advice that I've learned from experience.  Mine might be a little different from other lifestyle blogs out there.  Sure, I'll post my vacation pictures and review great restaurants that I try.  But I will also write frankly about my failures, disappointment, things that don't come easily for me.  There are studies that show how people feel worse about their own lives after looking at other people's lives on Facebook.  It's because no one wants to post the bad parts, so it looks like everyone else's life is always better than yours.  This blog won't be like that.  I will give you a real view of what it's like to be in your late twenties and still trying to make things happen.  I know I'm not the only one going through this, so this blog might also serve as a community for people to share experiences.

When I wrote to one of my undergraduate professors to tell her that I was switching careers, she responded by saying, "Being in your twenties is so hard!"  At the time, I thought she was being sarcastic, but now I think there's also something genuine in that statement.  This blog will document how I'm making it work (or sometimes not).  If you continue to read and comment, we can figure out how to make it work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment