Thursday, March 28, 2013

"Spring Break" Woo Hoo!

Well, sort of.  I get two weeks of paid vacation at my job and I decided to take the second week off so that it coincides with my boyfriend's spring break.  But either way -- Week off!  Woo Hoo!  I plan to clean the apartment, read, run, spend quality time with my boyfriend and his family, and hopefully do something special to celebrate my birthday next week.  Before I do any of that, I'm about to watch a Duck Dynasty marathon.  I don't know what it is about this show, but I love watching it.  I wish I knew these people in real life... so I could visit them once every couple of years.  I think part of it is the beard factor.  I love the beards.  Or maybe it's because they say things like, "... more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs."

I'll be spending most of the week in South Jersey (and I mean very south) at my boyfriend's parents' house. His father is an Episcopal priest, so Easter is a pretty big deal.  I've been told there will be lamb and marshmallow peeps involved.  Even though the water won't be warm enough to actually use the beach, I am looking forward to being near it.  I may not be a major shore enthusiast (I like being pale... and clothed), but I wouldn't be a Jersey girl if I didn't love a good boardwalk.  At the very least, there will be an arcade in which I can lose at air hockey.  Repeatedly.

I had a book-related dilemma in anticipation of this break.  I finished both books I was reading earlier this week and I couldn't decide whether to start one of the other serious books I have on my bookshelf (literal bookshelf and on goodreads) or if I should pick something lighter that I can read quickly.  My last few books were on the heavier, darker side, so I think I need to cleanse my mind-palate with something more akin to "summer reading."  On the other hand, with a completely free week, it kind of seems like the perfect time to start a very time-consuming book.  I reached a sort of compromise:
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern just seemed kind of fun and I knew I would be able to get through it in a couple of days, but it's surprised me so far.  The writing tries a little too hard sometimes -- it's very florid and detailed -- but at least it has some style.  The story is also drawing me in and it's more complex than I thought it would be.  My last two books were a legal drama about the end of childhood and an academic history book, so I think it's time for a little magic.
A Good American by Alex George is about three generations of a German family living in Missouri.  I haven't cracked it open yet, so I can't comment on its quality, but it was on at least one of those "Best Books of Summer 2012" lists.
If I finish these two before I have to go back to work, I'll continue working on my official list.  The Corrections and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle are next at bat.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had a paid vacation before this year.  My job is really fun a lot of the time (I work with kids, so it's a lot of games and art projects), but after a particularly stressful month and the sunless length of this winter, "spring break" arrived not a moment too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment