Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy Sick Patrick's Day

I've been sick this week and luckily my little sniffle with a side of sore throat has turned into a full-blown sinus infection just in time for the weekend.  Honestly, I'd much rather be sick on a weekend when I don't have work or any other responsibilities that I have to worry about missing.  I am disappointed that I couldn't keep my 30 days of workouts going, but on the bright side, I get to spend my Saturday and Sunday catching up on books I've wanted to read and TV shows/movies I've wanted to watch.

I just finished reading Jennifer Egan's A Visit From the Goon Squad and it's my favorite book that I've read so far this year!  It's very artful and innovative in its structure and style.  It jumps around a lot in time and point of view.  The writing is very straightforward, but there are a lot of symbols and subtexts that she doesn't spell out for you.  I've had that problem with a lot of other books lately.  An author should trust his/her audience to get the message, not tell us what everything means.



Now I'm reading The Round House by Louise Erdrich, which won the National Book Award last year.  I'm not even 100 pages into it yet, but it's really engaging so far.  It has the feel of a pageturner/crime mystery, but with some really nice, poetic lines and the added complexities of state vs. tribal legal systems on a Native American reservation.  One of my grad school courses last year was on the history of American Indian Law and it's great to see those issues brought to light in popular culture.
Round House reminded me that I've been meaning to read Indian Blues: American Indians and the Politics of Music, 1879-1934 by John Troutman.  I also started skimming that and can't wait to read more. Troutman's main argument is that music performance (and its prohibition) has been a tool for mandating American Indians' U.S. citizenship as well as a method for Native Americans to contest that imposed identity and reassert their own.

I've also been watching a lot of shows on Netflix.  Right now I'm addicted to "Black Books," a British sit-com that has a very 90's feel to it even though it aired in the early 2000s.  It's about a curmudgeonly, alcoholic book shop owner (played by Irish comedian Dylan Moran) and his friends Fran (who owns the "Nifty Gifty" shop next door) and Manny (an ex-corporate accountant who decided to work at the book store after accidentally becoming enlightened).  I'm not usually such a big fan of British comedy, but this show is really cleverly written.
(image from http://beesandballoons.tumblr.com/)

The other shows I'm watching a lot of are the newer series of Doctor Who and Star Trek: The Next Generation.  Because... this:
(gif from http://www.dorkly.com/article/50913/lets-celebrate-st-patrick-stewarts-day)

I really want to sign up for a free trial of Hulu plus because they have so many Criterion Collection films that I can't find anywhere else unless I want to buy them for $50 each.  I have to plan ahead what I'm going to watch though, because there are way more movies than I could fit into the free trial period.  If I ditched my cable provider, I could live with just Netflix and Hulu, but I don't want to pay for all three.  I'll let you know how it goes either way.  If I do the free trial of Hulu plus, it might be a nice set of blog posts to review each of the movies I watch.

What weekend in bed would be complete without food?  I had a huge craving for Thai food last week, but resisted.  Now that I'm feeling horrible, my will power is way down and I went ahead and satisfied my hankering for curry.  Other than classic chicken noodle soup, I have to say that Thai food is probably the best thing to eat when you have a cold.

I'm hoping to feel better this week because I have a lot of plans for things I want to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment