Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Failure, and ways for dealing with it

OK, remember how I said I was going to post my failures and disappointments?  Well, I failed to do my workout today and I'm pretty disappointed in myself.  I could blame it on still being sick, but the truth is that I put it off during the day so that I could do other things and then by the time I got home from work, I lost motivation.  This was something that I knew about myself -- if I don't exercise before I go to work, I'm a lot less likely to do it.  I was able to force myself to go to the gym at night, or at least run through a routine at home, a couple of weeks ago (even after some incredibly long, stressful days), so I need to figure out what's causing my decreased motivation this week and find a way to work around it.  I have an appointment with my trainer tomorrow morning and I'm a little nervous about it.  Being sick meant that in addition to taking two days off and then only doing light cardio otherwise, my diet has also consisted of 90% orange juice or tea and 10% whatever we've had around the house.  In other words, not good.  At least I've been taking a lot of vitamins?  I'm afraid I won't be able to do any of the things that I could do two weeks ago.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

This seems like a pretty good time to bring up my first tip for people who may just be starting an exercise routine.  Decide whether you work best in the morning, around lunchtime, or in the evening, and then don't kid yourself.  If you're a morning person like me, you're probably not going to "just do it later."  On the other hand, evening people will be a lot less likely to stick to an exercise routine that requires them to wake up at 6am.  As I've said in an earlier post, I've been working out consistently four or five days a week since December.  I was doing absolutely nothing in November, while so far I've only skipped three days in March.  I might not be the healthiest, most physically fit person on the internet, but I have learned a lot about establishing (and keeping) a fitness routine.  Other tips for motivation include accountability, varietycomfort, and rewards, but I'll write about those in the coming weeks.

Just for fun, this is also the case:
I'm so close to finishing The Round House!  I really want to keep reading, but I'm going to be miserable tomorrow if I don't get some sleep.

*UPDATE* I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night and before I left for the gym this morning, I really didn't know if I was going to make it through my workout.  And then I did it anyway.  Sure, another three or four hours of sleep would have been ideal.  I also probably could have used another day or two in the gym since Friday.  But every time I finish a workout that I really didn't feel like doing, I always think to myself, "I can't believe I almost didn't do that."  

Here's what I did:
1 minute of squats picking up and putting down a 10 pound weight
1 minute of squats touching the ground with both hands
1 minute of body squats
20 seconds of rope slams with both arms
20 seconds of rope slams with alternating arms
20 seconds swinging ropes in and out with both arms
20 seconds alternating arms lifting the rope as high as I can
20 seconds jumping jacks with ropes in both hands
carrying 25 pound weights in each hand to the opposite side of the gym and back
repeat 3x

No comments:

Post a Comment